Ertai’s Lament’s One-Year Anniversary Giveaway Extravaganza
On 03 June, 2010, Ertai’s Lament launched with about as little fanfare as one might imagine for what was a simple labour of love. With the Duels of the Planeswalkers decks just released, we used them as a jumping-off point with a review- quite primitive by today’s site standards- of the Liliana Vess deck, Eyes of Shadow. We pledged then that we would release a new review every 48 hours, and challenged ourselves to maintain that same pace for an entire year. With our analytical review of Time Spiral’s Fun with Fungus, I’m proud to say we succeeded. Though beset by events ranging from my monthlong bout with pneumonia (I don’t recommend it) to the birth of our son Liam (which I do recommend), we’ve managed at the very least to have something new to read every other day. Again, a labour of love.
When we began Lament, we had no idea that there was a ‘Precon Community’ out there looking for a place all their own. To be sure, precon decks had varying degrees of online coverage on the main sites of Magic, but until now it didn’t seem they had a place devoted to them alone. While we’re glad that we were able to create that place, it would be an empty house without the readers and commentators who fill article after article with thoughts, reflects, insights, and, yes… the occasional correction. We are grateful to you all!
Last September as we celebrating Lament’s three-month anniversary, we had a tremendous giveaway sponsored by our outstanding local gaming store, Moonlite Comics of Frankfort, Kentucky. It is a truth that without their enthusiastic support for us and this site, we would have had a much rougher go of things, and for that we are deeply thankful. All the moreso now that they’ve stepped up yet again and sponsored our One-Year Anniversary Giveaway Extravaganza, because extravagant is precisely what this is!
For one thing, we’ll be selecting nine winners, which means that anyone entering has a good chance of winning. And wait until you see our prizes! With Commander season right around the corner, a format well known for an appreciation of foils and promo cards- the timing couldn’t be better!
We have a New Phyrexia Intro Pack (Devouring Skies) to give away. We also have a pile of promo cards. We’ve taken the pile and sorted it into eight roughly equal bundles (except for one, which is even more), based on pricing at Star City Games. Here they are:
- Black Sun’s Zenith (Mirrodin Besieged Game Day full art foil), Maul Splicer (WPN foil), Vault Skirge (WPN foil), Lord of Shatterskull Pass (Rise of the Eldrazi release foil), Gruul Guildmage (Guildpact release foil), Plague Myr (WPN foil)
- Fling (WPN foil), Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle (Zendikar release foil), Dimir Guildmage (Ravnica reelase foil), Thopter Assembly (Mirrodin Besieged Release), Golem’s Heart (WPN foil), Sprouting Thrinax (WPN foil)
- Joraga Warcaller (Worldwake release foil), Earwig Squad (Morningtide release foil), Sylvan Ranger (WPN foil), Steel Hellkite (Scars of Mirrodin release foil), Knight of New Alara (Alara Reborn release foil), Plague Stinger (WPN foil), Master’s Call (WPN foil), Curse of Wizardry (WPN foil)
- Obelisk of Alara (Conflux release foil), Glissa, the Traitor (Mirrodin Besieged prerelease foil), Plague Stinger (WPN foil), Syphon Mind (WPN foil), Storm Entity (Future Sight release foil)
- Memoricide (Scars of Mirrodin full box promo), Valakut, the Molten Pinnacle (Zendikar release foil), Ancient Hellkite (Magic 2011 release foil), Treasure Mage (Mirrodin Besieged Game Day full art), Skinrender (WPN foil)
- Sheoldred, Whispering One (New Phyrexia prerelease foil), Kor Duelist (WPN foil), Fling (WPN foil)
- Sheoldred, Whispering One (New Phyrexia prerelease foil), Ant Queen (Magic 2010 release foil), Gruul Guildmage (Guildpact release foil), Sudden Shock (Time Spiral release foil), Treasure Mage (Mirrodin Besieged Game Day full art), Genju of the Spires (Arena foil)
- Hero of Bladehold (Mirrodin Besieged prerelease foil), Hedge Troll (Planar Chaos release), Woolly Thoctar (WPN foil), Sylvan Ranger (WPN foil)
So How Do I Enter?
That’s the easy part! There are two ways to enter, and you may do both for a total of two chances to win!
1. Retweet the contest announcement tweet I’ll be sending out announcing the One-Year Anniversary Giveaway Extravaganza
2. In the spirit of nostalgia, comment on this post and share some of your Ertai’s Lament/precon deck memories with us. Was there a review you read here you particularly enjoyed? Is there a precon deck that’s had a special place in your heart? Wax a little nostalgic- it doesn’t have to be the Great American Novel in length (unless you feel moved by the spirit), but give us a little insight into what’s stood out for you as a member of Magic’s Precon Community.
As an added thank-you to those who have spent part of the journey along with us this past year, we’ll also be awarding a third chance to win for all of our current Twitter followers and weblog subscribers, as of the publishing of this piece. If you’re reading this and you’re not already a follower or subscriber, it’s too late for this chance- but worry not, there are still the other two!