Whispers of the Muse: Wolfgang’s Snowscape
Welcome to the next installment of Whispers of the Muse, our occasional series where a reader submits a list they’ve come up with based upon a precon deck, then it is put before the community for suggestions and advice.
Submitted towards the end of our Coldsnap reviews, Wolfgang had this to say:
As we are back in winter’s realms, I thought it might be appropriate to ask for help with my somewhat inertial version of the Snowscape deck.
The list of cards as shipped can be found here.
My current layout is given as follows:
The intention of my meddlings are to keep in all in line with the original deck’s plan as well as the central flavor element of the expansion itself, namely Snow. This is to be achieved by:
* using the commodities of snow mana
* chilling down the situation by gaining board control
* pressing the defense until the fliers pop up and help me attack by evasion.
My experiences so far are as follows:
* The defensive plan works out quite well. However, it does not contribute to winning the game but only to protract my defeat.
* The Owl along with Heidar ar the deck’s stars. But, indeed, they take their sweet time to show up
* Drift of the Dead enchanted with Snow Devil keeps off almost anything.
* I find myself more often than not waiting for my attackers, handing over the initiative to the opponent in the meantime.
Cards I’m quite in doubt with:
* Iceberg: Acceleration for more expensive spells (Heidard, Rimefeather Owl)
* Chill to the Bone: absolutely flavorful, however somewhat expensive for removal
* Rimebound Dead: nice blockers but absolutely worthless when hitting late game
* Snow Devil: unsatisfactory when desperately waiting for offensive forces
What I ask the community for are ways to either speed up the deck or to tighten the grip of icy control. Card pools in consideration:
* Coldsnap … of course
* M10 and M11
* a red splash, giving me access to the set’s top removal: Skred
Thank you all in advance, and – in contrary to the plan pursued here – may spring lighten up your days.